Tuesday 23 July 2013

That Goal

When Josh Kennedy scored that goal against Iraq last month, it completed the Socceroos quest to qualify for the World Cup and started their preparation for the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil.

That Goal

It also set up my next 12 months as I travel all the way to Rio to support the Aussie team – and I'm going the long way.

With a round-the-world air ticket in my hand, I'll be jetting off to Asia, Europe and North America before eventually heading down through Central and South America and finally arriving in Brazil.

Getting ready to watch the Socceroos Cup qualifier against Jordan

The World Cup is the biggest event in the world and what better place to check it out than in Brazil? With their love of football and and partying, next years event is shaping to be the biggest party of all time – and I have to be a part of that. I've dedicated the last eight years of my life to travelling the globe and getting to big events, and this will be the biggest event of them all.

One of my biggest regrets in travelling was missing the 2006 World Cup in Germany while I was living in Edinburgh, Scotland. Why didn't I go? To this day I still cant answer that question. This is my chance to make up for that in the best way possible.

Inside the Olympic Rings at Whistler Village in 2010

Making up for a past fail is something I've done before too. After failing to be a part of the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games, I made a point of travelling to Canada to be part of the 2010 Winter Olympic Games in Vancouver – getting myself a job on Whistler mountain and fulfilling a dream.

Over the next year I'll be travelling to 20+ countries, taking in culture, sport, cuisine and meeting some new friends. While some things will focus on the World Cup – like travelling to Spain to see the Cup in the country that currently holds it – it's mostly going to be about the journey to get there, and the people and places I come across along the way.

I look forward to sharing it all with anyone who is interested, and also hearing any suggestions and feedback. 


While I'm not taking the most direct way to the World Cup, I think its going to be the most fun.  

No comments:

Post a Comment